Nancy Pelosi's Son Provides Grim New Details About His Dad's Recovery

Nancy Pelosi's husband, Paul, recently fell victim to a violent home invasion. On October 28, San Francisco police officers responded to a call at the Pelosi residence and made a gruesome discovery. According to CNN, Paul was attacked by a deranged assailant whose intended target was the U.S. Speaker of the House.

"This was not a random act. This was intentional," police chief William Scott said during a press conference. Scott added, "It's wrong. Our elected officials are here to do the business of their cities, their counties, their states, and this nation. Their families don't sign up for this to be harmed and it is wrong." Furthermore, law enforcement sources told CNN, that the suspect — later identified as David DePape — was shouting, "where is Nancy," when he entered the home.

Days after the attack, it was revealed that Paul made a life-saving decision to secretly call the police from his cell phone the moment the invasion began. Paul was hospitalized following the incident and is expected to make a recovery. Now, Paul Pelosi Jr. is opening up about how difficult his father's recovery may be.

Paul Pelosi is being 'rebuilt slowly'

On October 31, one day after Nancy Pelosi broke her silence over her husband Paul's brutal attack, federal prosecutors announced the charges David DePape would face for breaking into the Pelosi's home and violently attacking Paul. According to USA Today, DePape has been charged with the attempted kidnapping of a federal official and assaulting an immediate family member of a United States representative with the intent to retaliate against the official. According to the federal complaint, DePape entered the home in hopes of detaining Nancy until he uncovered "the 'truth.'" The statement went on to say, "If Nancy were to tell (the suspect) the 'truth,' he would let her go, and if she 'lied,' he was going to break 'her kneecaps.'" 

Meanwhile, Paul remains hospitalized, and his son provided a brief update as to Paul Sr.'s current condition. "They are rebuilding him slowly," Paul Pelosi Jr. said of his father's recovery, per the New York Post. Paul Sr. suffered a fractured skull, among other injuries, during the attack. According to the outlet, Nancy and Paul Jr. visited Paul Sr. at San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center on October 30, with sources revealing to the publication that Nancy was there for "several hours."

Paul Pelosi's assailant faces hard time

On Monday, Nancy Pelosi noted that her husband Paul Pelosi is doing better but will continue to have a "long recovery process." In addition, she also revealed she was grateful for the overwhelming response of well wishes from around the world. "Since the horrific attack on Paul early Friday, we have been deluged with thousands of messages conveying concern, prayers and warm wishes," Pelosi said in a statement obtained by CNN. "Our family thanks everyone for their kindness." 

According to ABC News, David DePape is slated to be arraigned November 1 in San Francisco Superior Court where he will face a long list of state and federal charges. The outlet also reported that prosecutors are looking to request that DePape be held without the option of bail. San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins shared during a press conference that she believes the heinous attack was "politically motivated" and for that, DePape should receive severe consequences for his actions. 

If DePape is found guilty of his crimes, he could potentially be sentenced to 50 years in prison, per NPR. While many are shocked about what happened to Paul, those who are close to the attacker are shedding light on just who targeted the Pelosis.

Information about Paul Pelosi's attacker surfaces

As Paul Pelosi continues to recover, more disturbing details about his attacker David DePape are beginning to surface. Fox News spoke with Jin Molnar, one of DePape's neighbors, who revealed what the suspect was really like behind closed doors. "He was an odd guy," Molnar told the outlet. Although he described DePape as strange, Molnar noted he never saw him as a threat — but wasn't entirely shocked that DePape did something of this nature, either.

"I also was, a little bit, saying 'oh no' to myself, because I more or less knew this would happen," the neighbor added. "He didn't do anything violent or reckless, but that would be the perfect cover for buying his time until he had the chance to do something." Meanwhile, DePape's former partner of more than ten years shared a similar story. "He is mentally ill. He has been mentally ill for a long time," Gypsy Taub alleged to ABC7 News.

Taub recounted the time DePape went missing for a year and came back a completely different man. "He was constantly paranoid, thinking people were after him," she explained.