Backstreet Boy Nick Carter won't face charges in sexual assault case

Backstreet Boys singer Nick Carter won't face criminal charges following a police investigation into disturbing allegations.

On Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2018, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office revealed that the pop star won't be prosecuted in a sexual assault case made against him stemming from an alleged 2003 incident, CNN reports. According to court documents obtained by the news outlet, prosecutors stated that the statute of limitations on the claims had expired in 2013.

As Nicki Swift previously reported, Melissa Schuman of the girl group Dream came forward with allegations against Carter in November 2017, claiming in a blog post that he'd allegedly pressured her into performing oral sex on him and then raped her in the early 2000s. Carter, whose wife sadly suffered a miscarriage earlier this week, vehemently denied the claims at the time, stating that he was "shocked and saddened" by them. 

After Schuman, 33, filed a police report with the Santa Monica Police Department in February 2018, the case became under review in August. Around that time, fellow Backstreet Boy Brian Littrell spoke out in support of Carter, telling TMZ, "Unfortunately, there are fame seekers that are out there. In this situation, [Carter's] been forthright and honest with us, and we have to stand beside our bandmate. That's all we can do."

At the time of this writing, Carter, 38, has not publicly commented on the latest development in this case. However, his attorney, Michael Holt, recently told TMZ that his client "was vindicated today." Adding that the "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" singer "was confident the District Attorney would conclude that there was "no basis to pursue charges against him," Holt said, "He is happy to put this matter behind him."

Meanwhile, Schuman has since spoken out on the decision. "My family and I were well aware of the likelihood that my case was not prosecutable due to the statute of limitations in California regarding rape which was modified in 2016," the former pop star released in a statement via her blog, Melissa Explains It All. "It is unfortunate that the law isn't fully retroactive to accommodate assaults that have happened in the past, regardless of how far back." However, she added, "Speaking out was the best thing I could have ever done for myself and I hope it inspires others to do the same if it feels right for them."

Amid the momentum of the #MeToo movement, Carter was just one of several powerful figures in show business to be accused of sexual misconduct after disgraced film producer Harvey Weinstein's ongoing sexual abuse scandal broke last October.